Saturday 25 April 2015

ANZAC Illustrated

When I was in Newcastle recently I made sure I had time to get along to see a special exhibition, Anzac Illustrated, showcasing the work of Australian illustrators and their work on books about war and conflict for children.

Of course April 25 2015 marks the 100th anniversary of Gallipoli and the start of the ANZAC legend. There have been many new books to mark the occasion. Which is good but at times it seems that there are too many to keep up with.

ANZAC Illustrated included many of my favourite illustrators work.


This exhibition celebrates quite unique approaches to creating illustrated books for children on these themes. Tales are told from many perspectives by well-known voices. Illustration mediums and styles are varied and inspiring. There are all sorts of books including picture books for young and old, a graphic novel and illustrated fiction. 

Several illustrators were featured. Greg Holfeld's amazing work on An Anzac Tale (see my review) was featured as the artwork for the exhibition posters. It is particularly striking. And there was a large digital print of the cover artwork as you walked in.


I really love his use of kangaroos as soldiers. It's so visually strong. This interesting choice was explained in the exhibition. 

Click on the photo to enlarge for easier reading. 

I always love seeing glimpses of work in progress. It's so fascinating for a non-artist who has no idea of the process.







There was a large display about several of Mark Wilson's books. I've read a few of his books, and really love his work. 


There were fascinating displays of the research he does for his illustrations.


I just had to search out Digger
(see my review)







Mark Wilson illustrated Jackie French's A Day to Remember (see my review). It was great to see how he did the cover artwork. 









There was only one work from Shaun Tan, an image from his extraordinary book Memorial, which I should probably reread. 






Check out my list of war books for children covering WWI, WWII and other conflicts.

Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme
 now hosted by 
WestMetroMommy

6 comments:

Sean @ His And Her Hobbies said...

Awesome photos. I had never heard of this exhibition but I would definitely have gone to see it if it was close by.

Sean at His and Her Hobbies

Esme said...

I so love sketches. I just returned from France and a sketch was one of my must buys on this trip.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wonderful photos! I loved seeing the research and the work in progress. Thanks for sharing.

Here is MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Thank you for the fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the artists' creative process. I am awed by their talent.
Sandy @ Writing With a Texas Twang

Esme said...

Louise, I did not know I had a trip. I was itching a little-sat down to look at flights and left within 10 days. I did go into Un Dimanche a Paris. I have never had a pastry from them though-no reason that I have not-I think I am getting older (not always having a sweet tooth) and the weather was around 25 degrees some days-that is too warm to eat pastries non-stop. I did have my share.

The trip was good I did the Loire Valley also. In that alley there is a secret passageway. It is private but I was taken there on another tour-I took some lovely photos there-this morning I spent about an hour here-my apt was 5 minutes away and I went back to get a new battery for one camera and bring out my better camera-I did a photo tour on this trip and brought along my SLR-my back was killing me from having that camera with me all the time-but the one shot below with the clock is from the photo tour-it was worth it.

Esme said...

http://www.tripadvisor.fr/Restaurant_Review-g187124-d3851129-Reviews-Boulangerie_la_Tour_de_L_Horloge-Chinon_Loire_Valley_Centre.html

La Tour de L'Horloge in Chinon-it was an apple pastry with a wine sauce the wine was from the region. I am not a wine person or else I could tell you what wine-It was beyond sumptuous. I have more photos from there so I will do a post. I love almost all pastries-just not ones with lots of cream. simple apple tarts are often my favourite and this one I should have purchased more of. Ok I averaged one pastry a day-we still have a chocolate tart and some macarons left in the house-on the plane I had a taste tatin. There was the mango passion fruit cheesecake (do not even think Philadelphia) cheese from Angelina, a Baba Rhum one night for dessert that I could not eat the entire portion. I did eat-and the food in the Loire was exquisite-I ate at one restaurant that grows their own vegetables-the meal was spectatular.