Saturday 16 May 2015

Milk and Honey

I saw this fabulous exhibition at Orange Regional Gallery recently. I've visited several times so far, and know that I will see it again before it closes. 

From the exhibition brochure:


The exhibition Milk and Honey consists of paintings and sculptures executed between 2011 and 2015 and takes the Biblical expression "a land flowing with milk and honey" (Exodus 33:3) as a metaphor for rural Arcadia.


Coyte was born in 1953, in the bush, with a father who worked as a wool classer and a mother who came from a sheep farm. His earliest schooling was in a tiny convent school in Borenore, not far from Mount Canobolas and a ten minute drive from Orange, and this was supplemented by senior school in Orange itself. The 1970s were spent largely in art schools in Sydeny, while by the early eighties he was travelling and exhibiting his art in Europe. By the mid-eighties he was back in the Orange- Bathurst region with a growing family and teaching art.

All the paintings are for sale. I just wish I could afford one. 




Milky Moon 2011


Endless Column 2015

Udder Disaster 2015


Bee in Your Bonnet 2015


Count your blossoms (diptych) 2014


Sting  2015


Odd Couple (collaboration with Ros Auld) 2014

There's an excellent video that plays during the 
exhibition showing Martin working on some of the paintings. It's fascinating to watch and then look at the painting he was creating at the time. Thankfully through the magic of Vimeo you can watch it too.


10 April until 7 June 2015
Orange Regional Gallery
151 Byng Street
Orange
Daily 9-5
6393 8136


Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme
 now hosted by 
WestMetroMommy

10 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wish there was more art in my world. Maybe I need to more actively seek it out.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Lovely art! Thanks for sharing...I enjoyed it.

Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Love the colour of his work and the title for the exhibition too.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Lovely works. You've inspired me to find out what's being exhibited at the Seattle Art Museum.
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog today.

Susan Lindquist said...

What a fun, whimsical exhibit!

Vicki said...

Looks like a nice place to visit!

Sean @ His And Her Hobbies said...

I haven't been to Orange since I was a kid. I had a distant relative that lived there or a friend of a relative. I'm not sure. She had the greatest garden and lived over a butcher shop I believe. Anyway I love the Udder Disaster and the Milky painting at the top the most.

Sean at His and Her Hobbies

grammajudyb said...

I too need to seek more art in my environment. We have an art gallery and a local group of artists. I must be more supportive. Thanks for sharing this lovely exhibit.

westmetromommy said...

What a great exhibit. Thanks for sharing!

Brona said...

I like the sculptures in particular - quirky and curious. I'll let my family know so they can pop in to see it before it finishes.